Alzheimer’s disease is an illness that affects elders as commonly known by all. This does not mean that all elders are sure to experience Alzheimer’s disease. When caring for an elderly suffering such, there are specific guidelines that need to be done to minimize the symptoms and its harmful effects. The whole family has to work hand in hand to help one another.
There are key factors that need to be considered when caring for somebody who has Alzheimer’s. There are simple things that families can help them with at home.
- People with Alzheimer’s disease may find it difficult to use clothing with zippers and buttons. Stick to loose and comfortable shirts and pants.
- Establish a routine in changing clothes. Try to do it at a specific time so to establish a schedule in their mind.
- Give them enough time to dress. Let them be as independent as they can when it comes to dressing. It will give them a feeling of confidence and self-reliance.
- Narrow their options when it comes to their clothes. Limit their choices with comfortable cotton pieces. The more options there are, the more confused they will be.
- Establishing a mutual understanding to a person with Alzheimer’s disease is challenging. Caregivers have to create a communication technique that can bridge the gap.
- When communicating with a person with Alzheimer’s be patient and use simple terms. There retention and comprehension are not as good as it used to be.
- Get their attention, use their name when talking, keep an eye to eye contact.
- Give them enough time to respond to a conversation. Allow them to express what they have in mind.
- Use positive words when talking to them, be kind and polite.
BATHING AND HYGIENE
- Bathing is a very difficult task for people with Alzheimer’s disease. Caregivers gave to establish a regular bathing routine.
- Use mild and unscented products so not to aggravate their confusion.
Whatever care tips it is available at home, caring for patients with Alzheimer all boils down to a compassionate caregiver and trusted professional services.
Live-Ins For The Elderly LLC provides quality and cost-effective Home Care in Danbury, Connecticut. We have highly experienced professionals who can help your loved ones maximize the comfort of receiving health care at home. We guarantee a tailor-fit In-home Care in Danbury which can promote wellness for your loved ones.
What do you think of this post? Please share your comments and suggestions now!